• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How do you find answers to vauge non specific health problems?

Middleway

Ex-Bluelighter
Hi all
10 years I have been searching, all my life I have been suffering. Seen countless doctors, therapists, self medicated with innumerable substances legal and illeagal. All my life I have felt like shit, from childhood to now at 32 years of age.
Is there a point where you just give up and deal with it? I think it would be easier if I stopped struggling against it and just accepted it but I don't want to give up hope that I can feel better.
I think I will soon. Chronic fatigue syndrome, bipolar, borderline, migraines, allergies, adhd, fibromyalgia, all fit the bill but not quite. Doctors seem to just regard me as a personality disorder and I am sure thats part of it but waking up feeling like I have drunk a bottle of scotch the night before when I have had an early night doesn't seem right.
Feeling low, negative, but able to pull myself out of it to smile and laugh but immidietly falling back into a negative funk as soon as stimulis is removed.
I have gone through periods of my life where I have been ultra healthy, ultra fit, eaten perfectly etc but the core symptoms of brain fog depression and anxiety have never left for long

Not sure why I am even posting this

Cheers

Wow, man, that sounds really rough. I haven't felt like that all my life, but I do now, as I'm dealing with rheumatoid arthritis (i'm 20), tonnnns of fatigue, allergies, and i've never been the most mentally stable (though I may appear otherwise).

I don't know what to say other than keep at it. Reach for the light. Meditate, experiment with new-age stuff. Like sungazing, energy work, Holotropic Breathwork(tm), or even a ketamine 'reboot' to treat fibromyalgia.

If stimulus gives you energy, get more stimulus. If doing something makes you feel awesome, do it more. If you feel the cause is something at your spiritual core, seek that out and do a vision quest or something of that 'nature.'

There is an inexhaustible well of ideas about optimal health out there. Now get to researchin!

Ever try acupuncture? I'm serious! What have you got to lose?

I was in a car crash and had nerve damage to my arm. Every doctor I saw said I'd have to learn to live with it.

After 3 visits to an acupuncturist, it went away and has never returned.

I would suggest going to an alternative practitioner. Chinese medicine isnt about a specific diagnosis, its about evaluating each and every individual like they have an internal weather pattern. You dont just get a label and a standard treatment, you get a full assessment of your total state of being and whatever is out of balance they work to correct.

Now this system has its limits. If I had a broken bone or infectious disease I would go to a chinese doctor if nobody else is around, but I would go to the ER or urgent care first. However, for chronic incurable disease I feel that the holistic approach is by far superior and generally with fewer side effects.

Thanks for your replies

Drugs such as nardil, dexamphetamine, and venlafaxine helped but too many side effects, I am seeing a Proffesor in psychietry in a few days, see what he has to say, it could be that I am bipolar, sodium valproate certainly gave my thoughts a clarity I have never felt before but left me so depressed and anxious I couldn't move.
And really those other drugs made me quite manic so it seems a reasonable assumption.
Thinking I may be getting chronic migraines without the headache and just the cognitive dysfuntion and pressure behind my eye and cheek on one side of my face....happens so often I thought of it as part of the depression but I think I might be on the right track.
I just don't trust doctors, I am scared of what they will put me on, I have been self medicating for years and I don't want to hand over the reins without confidence in the person I am handing them to.
I got scripted serequel, the second time I took it I heard a voice in my head, scared the hell outa me, never had that before. I have read that antipsychotics can cause upregulation of the dopamine receptors and make your condition worse. That would be all I would need, to start hearing fucking voices on top of all the mood shit.
I am keen to try chinese medicine but who can you trust?

Please stop self-medicating with pharms. You don't mess around with them, especially more than one at a time, which makes side effects more difficult to trace-- and you don't know about cross-reactions.

Chronic fatigue or "vague" conditions can be addressed by Chinese medicine/ayurveda, so long as you go to a good doctor. Do you have doctor rating websites in your area? It would be very good to see one who gets good ratings. At this point, you will have to be diagnosed in person. There could be a number of causes, from digestion, immune deficiencies, and some viral infections. These, in the long term (as long as strong medicines) will have effect on your nervous system.

Seeing that you have had the conditions for a long time, do not expect them to go away overnight. A good doctor will help you understand the process of healing. Like I said, try a Chinese or ayurvedic doctor-- I have seen them have much success with such chronic conditions.